Now, this is not a Southern, a Cajun or a Creole recipe, but it is a favorite of my clients. It is Middle Eastern and delightfully fragrant and absolutely wonderful.
Time: 30 minutes
2 Tablespoons Vegetable Oil
1 Tablespoon Butter
1 Large Stick Cinnamon
2 Whole Cloves
3/4 Cup Onion, minced
1/2 Teaspoon Ground Cardamom
2 Cups Basmati Rice, uncooked
1 Cup Water
2 Cups Chicken Broth
1/4 Cup Dates, chopped
1/2 Teaspoon Salt
1 Tablespoon Orange Zest *
1/4 Cup Pistachio Nuts, unsalted, toasted
1. Heat oil and butter in 3 qt. Dutch oven over high heat.
2. Add cinnamon and cloves and cook, stirring, until the cinnamon stick spuffs up, 1-2 minutes.
3. Reduce heat and add onion and saute until the onion is clear, about 3 minutes.
4. Stir in the rice and mix to coat all the grains.
5. Cook until it begins to be aromatic, 1-2 minutes.
6. Add water, chicken broth, dates, salt, and orange zest and bring to a boil.
7. Reduce heat to low and cover tightly.
8. Simmer until all of the liquid has been absorbed, 13-15 minutes.
9. Remove from heat and let stand, covered, for 10 minutes to allow the rice to set.
10. Remove cinnamon stick and cloves (cloves should be on top).
11. Uncover and fluff with fork.
12. Garnish with pistachios before serving.
Orange Zest - FoodieAffair.com