Au Jus will make your steaks a little more flavorful and give them a bit more flair. It keeps in the refrigerator for a few days, so you can make it ahead of time.
Makes 1 cup plus a little bit
- 1 cup store-bought veal demi-glace
- 2 1/2 teaspoons commercial beef base
- 1 1/4 teaspoons commercial chicken base
- 1/2 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf or 1/8 teaspoon ground bay leaves
- Pinch of ground white pepper
- In a medium saucepan, combine 1 1/4 cups of water with the demi-glace, beef base, chicken base, peppercorns, garlic powder, thyme, bay leaf, and ground white pepper. Whisk well. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat and cook at a boil, uncovered, whisking occasionally, for about 25 minutes, or until glossy and smooth.
- Strain through a fine-mesh sieve into a metal bowl. Discard the solids. Let cool, then cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour until chilled. Scrape any fat that has congealed on the surface. Use right away or transfer to a lidded container and refrigerate for up to 3 days.