This is simply the BEST of the BEST!! The recipe comes from Ernesto's Restaurant in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico. If you find a better recipe, I sure would like to know about it.
1¼ hours | 15 min prep
* 12 roma tomatoes, whole
* 3 teaspoons oregano (Mexican if you have it)
* 10 garlic cloves
* 5 bay leaves
* 2 teaspoons cumin seeds (can substitute ground)
* 2 teaspoons marjoram
* 1 teaspoon thyme
* 6 large peppercorns
* 3 teaspoons peppercorns, small
* 1 tablespoon oil
* 1/4 cup onion
* 4 tablespoons chicken bouillon granules
* 8 pieces chicken
* 8 corn tortillas, cut into thin strips
* 2 avocados
* 4 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
1. Boil tomatoes 10 minutes.
2. Place tomatoes and next 8 ingredients in blender and blend for 4 minutes.
3. Saute onion in oil and add blender contents by pouring through a mesh strainer.
4. Add one quart of water to strainer and swirl.
5. Put leftover ingredients from strainer in 1/2 cup of water, blend well and strain into pot.
6. Add one more quart of water.
7. Add chicken bouillon and chicken pieces and boil until chicken is cooked.
8. Fry tortilla strips in oil until crispy.
9. Heat 8-10 oz. of stock for each serving. Place one piece of chicken in stock to heat and then debone.
10. Fill bowl with a handful of chips, 3-4 avocado slices, meat of one piece of chicken, cover with mozzarella cheese.
11. Pour boiling broth over ingredients in bowl and serve.