Friday, June 26, 2009

Rice Pudding with Orange Zest



The Winelady was kind enough to send me this blog post via Foodbuzz. I liked it so much I decided to share it here on Southern Flavor Zone. Enjoy!

Recipe and photo courstesy of Mangia! Winelady Cooks

I'm a dessert lover and rice pudding has always been a favorite. However, in recent years I stopped making it because it was way too rich and not very healthy with all the eggs and cream. Not that eggs and cream are unhealthy, but for my personal health concerns I started cutting back on the rich foods that add too many calories making the pounds add up faster than I can say grandma.

I came across this recipe in Woman's Day magazine. I made it several times, and based on the critiques I received from my "tasters" I made a few changes and came up with a very tasty rice pudding. I splurged with "real" whipped cream which is a "must have" on rice pudding.

Ingredients

* 2/3 cup Arborio rice
* 8 cups water
* pinch of salt
* 3 cups 1% milk
* 1 5 oz. can "evaporated" milk
* 3 TBLS. packed light brown sugar
* 2 TBLS. granulated sugar
* 1 tsp. vanilla extract
* 1 tsp. grated orange zest
* 1/4 tsp. cinnamon


Directions
#1. Place rice in a strainer and rinse under cold water. Stir with your fingers to remove some of the surface starch. Place the rice in a 5 quart saucepan with the 8 cups of water and salt and bring to a boil over high heat.

Reduce heat to medium and then boil for 7 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until the rice is just tender. (Try not to overcook the rice). Drain rice and return to the pot.

#2. Stir in the milk and sugar into the rice, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Bring to boil over medium high heat, then reduce heat to a slow simmer.

Simmer, stirring frequently at first and then continuously toward the end for about 25 minutes, or until the rice doubles in size and is soft and tender. (The mixture will be very liquidy. Don't panic.)

#3. Pour into a bowl, stir in the vanilla, orange zest and cinnamon. Cover the surface of the pudding with plastic wrap to prevent a skin from forming.

Let cool on the counter before refrigerating. Refrigerate at least 4 or 5 hours. The liquid will be absorbed into the rice and will then be ready to serve.

#4. Add grated orange zest and cinnamon to garnish and serve with fresh whipped cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment