Description: Lightly coated pieces of chicken with a hint of citrus served with a tangy tomato-based sauce.
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 tablespoons minced garlic
4 green onions, sliced
1 cup tomato sauce
1/4 cup granulated sugar
2 tablespoons chili garlic sauce
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1/2 cup vegetable oil
4 boneless, skinless chicken
1 egg, beaten
1 cup milk
1 cup flour
peel from 1/4 orange, julienned (into 1/8"-thick strips)
cooked white or brown rice, to serve
1. Prepare the sauce: In medium saucepan, heat oil; add garlic and onions; do not let the garlic burn; add tomato sauce; bring to boil.
2. Add sugar, chili sauce and soy sauce; bring to boil; simmer 5 to 6 minutes or until sauce thickens; remove from heat.
3. Prepare chicken: In wok or large skillet, heat oil. Meanwhile cut chicken breasts into bite-sized pieces.
4. In medium bowl combine egg and milk; mix well. Place flour in shallow dish.
5. Coat chicken pieces - first in the flour, then the egg wash and back into the flour. Cook in 2 or 3 batches until all chicken is cooked.
6. When chicken is done, remove oil and rinse out wok with water; reheat pan. When hot, add orange peel and chicken; heat through -
about a minute - stirring gently. Add sauce; heat through.
7. Serve with white or brown rice.