2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup Cocoa powder
1 teaspoon Baking soda
1/2 teaspoon Baking powder
1/4 teaspoon Salt
1/4 cup Canola oil
1/4 cup Unsweetened applesauce
1/2 cup Granulated sugar
1/2 cup Light brown sugar
1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
1 teaspoon Instant coffee powder
1/4 cup Milk
2 cups Zucchini, grated then chopped slightly
3 tablespoons Light brown sugar
1/2 cup Pistachios, toasted and chopped
- Preheat oven to 360F/180c for 15 minutes.
- Grease and flour a 9 inch spring-form pan. You can use cocoa instead of flour.
- In a large mixing bowl sift together the flour,cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- In a medium bowl add oil, applesauce, sugars, vanilla extract and coffee powder. Using a hand mixer beat the mixture in medium speed for 3-5 minutes.
- Add the eggs in 3 additions beating it after every addition. Now also add the milk and beat until well combined.
- Reserving half a cup of the flour mixture, add slowly the remaining flour to the wet ingredients, while beating it in low speed. Combine well the grated zucchini, chocolate chips and 1/2 cup of flour. Add this to the batter and mix it well. Note that the batter is thick at this stage. So don’t worry.
- Pour the batter in the prepared cake pan and smooth it out using a spatula. While using a spring-form pan it’s advisable to place the pan on a baking sheet, so that the batter or baked cake does not fall down if the pan is not locked properly.
- Prepare the topping by mixing the brown sugar and pistachios. Sprinkle this mixture evenly on the batter. Bake for 40 to 50 minutes. Mine was done in 45 minutes.